Here are a few websites that will be helpful to you in the classroom:
HELPFUL MATH SITES - FROM PULASKI STREET SCHOOL
MORE USEFUL WEBSITES
- Connect With Kids - www.connectwithkids.com Great articles about parenting kids of all ages - sign up for their free newsletter.
- Department of Education Web Site http://schools.nyc.gov. There is A LOT of useful information here.
- Everyday Math Page - http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu
Helpful information for Parents, Teachers and Students by the folks who developed the Everyday Math curriculum used in NYC Public Schools.
- Free Rice - www.freerice.com
Practice in vocabulary, social studies, math, science and more. Food is donated to developing countries for each question you answer. Build your brain and a better world at the same time!
- Great Schools - www.greatschools.net - reviews and info for parents
- Grow Network - This is the web site for information on city and state standardized tests in Math and ELA (English Language Arts.) They also offer information on state standards and great links to other pages for helping all children in grades 3-8 in the following areas: www.nyc.growparents.com
- Books for Kids Blog
Fantastic resource for finding quality children's books by a retired librarian--updated daily with a huge archive of books, quotes, links, summaries, uses, themes, etc. This retired Librarian's effort is amazing! Check it out!
REFERENCES TO HELP YOU HELP YOUR STUDENT
PLACES TO GO FOR HELP IN THE COMMUNITY
- Riverhead Free Library
- East End Art Center
The East End Arts Council is dedicated to bringing the arts into the lives of children. Scholarships based on financial need are available in all areas of study and camp.
- The Dolan DNA Learning Center (DNALC) is the world's first science center devoted entirely to genetics education and is an operating unit of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, an important center for molecular genetics research. The DNALC extends the Laboratory's traditional research and postgraduate education mission to the college, precollege, and public levels. Several educational options are available there, including DNA Saturdays and DNASummer Camp. http://www.dnalc.org/ddnalc/about/
- WLIW 21
WLIW21 Public Television gives you access to 2,000 instructional video programs and more than 20,000 video clips. (Ask your school librarian for a user name and password. Click on the WLIW21 logo and sign in.) http://www.wliw.org/
- Power To Learn
There's something for everyone at this Cablevision-sponsored site. They are the sponsors of the LI Challenge on Channel 12. http://www.powertolearn.com/
- Council for Unity has a history of successfully promoting inter-group relations and reducing violence in schools and communities by implementing programs in leadership development, mentoring, career, college guidance and gang prevention. Website at
Testing Resources (Sample Tests, etc)