337 Edwards Avenue
Calverton, NY 11933
RCSD owns and operates 65 full-sized buses (including 19 propane-powered vehicles). The district’s maintenance department has been recognized by the New York State Department of Transportation as “among the best” vehicle maintenance programs statewide with a 96.6% pass rate. RCSD drivers travel approximately 1,207,312 miles transporting students to 7 public schools, 11 non-public schools and 8 special education schools.
MAIN CONTACT PHONE NUMBERS FOR THE BUS GARAGE
We are eager to do our part to make learning enjoyable for all.
- Each morning, please have your student at the bus stop at least five minutes before the scheduled pick up.
- Please do not chase after a missed bus. We are unable to return for students who miss the bus.
- Children should look to the driver for the signal to cross the street safely.
Let us know in writing if:
- Your young student is allowed to be let off the bus without an adult present.
- Another adult will be meeting the child at the bus.
- An emergency occurs and your child needs to be dropped off or picked up at another location.
- You have made before or after school care arrangements for your child.
- Your phone number has changed.
Need special accommodations? Please contact Pupil Personnel Services at 369-6800. During the first two weeks of the school year our phone lines are heavily used. Your patience is greatly appreciated. Not all requests can be accommodated due to routing limitations and the needs of other students within the district.
Finally, please remember: NEVER pass a bus with its flashing lights on. Nothing is more important to us than student safety.
The Riverhead Central School District draws its students from three townships: Riverhead, Southampton and Brookhaven. However, all but one of the schools is located in the Township of Riverhead.
New York State Law requires the transportation of elementary students living more than two miles from school and secondary students living more than three miles from school.The Board of Education has approved the following transportation limits:
Kindergarten: all transported
Grades 1-4: .5 miles or more transported
Grades 5-6: .8 miles or more transported
Grades 7-12: 1.2 miles or more transported
PRIVATE and PAROCHIAL SCHOOL TRANSPORTATION FOR STUDENTS CURRENTLY ENROLLED OR PLANNING TO ATTEND
In accordance with Chapter 3635 of the NYS Education Law, all requests for transportation to a private or parochial school for the following school year must be submitted in writing to the Pupil Personnel Office before April 1st of the current school year, along with photo ID and proof of residency.
If you are undecided whether your child will attend, please apply for transportation, it can be cancelled at a later date. If you do not meet the April 1st deadline, transportation may be denied.
Transportation request forms are available at the Transportation Office: just north of the District Office at 337 Edwards Avenue, Calverton, NY 11933
Downloadable Transportation Department Forms: Transportation Request Form (pdf)
Inclement Weather Procedure for Parents of Children Attending Out of District (Non-Public, Private and Parochial and Special Ed. Facilities)
Inclement Weather Procedure
The district’s procedure for determining whether or not a student attending an out of district school will receive transportation due to inclement weather is ruled by the following procedure:
(1) If the Riverhead Central school District is closed, NO transportation will be provided. If Riverhead CSD has a “delayed opening,” ALL transportation services will begin after the delay time has passed.
(2) If the home district is closed, Riverhead CSD will not provide transportation as the home district has declared their roadways dangerous and for liability reasons Riverhead will not enter that district. If the home district is on a delay, then Riverhead will provide transportation services after the delay time has passed.
(3) If inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances cause schools to be delayed or closed, announcements will be made on the following local media outlets: WALK- AM 1370,WALK-FM 97.5, WBLI-FM 106.1 and News 12 Long Island. The district will also make related announcements via the School Notification System and on our website.