Here are a few websites that will be helpful to you in the classroom:
- Common Core Mathematics Help for Parents/Students
- Kahn Academy – A not-for-profit with the goal of providing a world-class education to anyone anywhere. Good site for videos that are interesting/fun.
- New Teacher Online Resources
- Nova Teachers
- PBS Teacher Source
- Scholastic Online
- Teaching is the Core from EngageNY on Vimeo.
HELPFUL MATH SITES – FROM PULASKI STREET SCHOOL
- AAA Math
- Kahn Academy
- Math Play
Math Games and More
MORE USEFUL WEBSITES
- Books for Kids Blog
Fantastic resource for finding quality children’s books by a retired librarian–updated daily with a huge archive of books, quotes, links, summaries, uses, themes, etc. This retired Librarian’s effort is amazing! Check it out!
- Connect With Kids
Great articles about parenting kids of all ages – sign up for their free newsletter.
- Department of Education
There is A LOT of useful information here.
- Everyday Math Page
Helpful information for Parents, Teachers and Students by the folks who developed the Everyday Math curriculum used in NYC Public Schools.
- Free Rice
Practice in vocabulary, social studies, math, science and more. Food is donated to developing countries for each question you answer. Build your brain and a better world at the same time!
- Great Schools
Reviews and info for parents
- Grow Network
This is the web site for information on city and state standardized tests in Math and ELA (English Language Arts.) They also offer information on state standards and great links to other pages for helping all children in grades 3-8.
REFERENCES TO HELP YOU HELP YOUR STUDENT
- Academy of American Poets
- City Search
- Information Please Almanac
- Official City Sites
- PE Central – Web site for health and physical education teachers, parents, and students. Their goal is to provide the latest information about developmentally appropriate physical education programs for children and youth.
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Webelements Periodic Table
- Web English Teacher
PLACES TO GO FOR HELP IN THE COMMUNITY
- Council for Unity
The Council for Unity has a history of successfully promoting inter-group relations and reducing violence in schools and communities by implementing programs in leadership development, mentoring, career, college guidance and gang prevention.
- The Dolan DNA Learning Center (DNALC)
The world’s first science center devoted entirely to genetics education and is an operating unit of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, an important center for molecular genetics research. The DNALC extends the Laboratory’s traditional research and postgraduate education mission to the college, precollege, and public levels. Several educational options are available there, including DNA Saturdays and DNASummer Camp.
- East End Art Center
The East End Arts Council is dedicated to bringing the arts into the lives of children. Scholarships based on financial need are available in all areas of study and camp.
- Riverhead Free Library
- WLIW 21
WLIW21 Public Television gives you access to 2,000 instructional video programs and more than 20,000 video clips. (Ask your school librarian for a user name and password. Click on the WLIW21 logo and sign in.)
- American Memory (Library of Congress)
- Flickr Creative Commons
When you search flickr, through CC, the photos are posted by copyright type. by clicking on more you search photos just with that type of license.
- Free Digital Photos
- Free Photos Bank
- Image and Sound Database, UC Berkeley
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographic Reading Room
- MathMol Library of Geometric Images
- NASA Image Exchange
- NASA’s Multimedia Gallery
- National Geographic Photos
- Open Photo
- Pict Search
- Prezi Presentation Site
- Royalty Free Photo/Graphic Sites
- University of California Calisphere
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services Images
- U.S. Government Photos and Graphics
Most of these images and graphics are available for use in the public domain, and they may be used and reproduced without permission or fee. However, some images may be protected by license. We strongly recommend you thoroughly read the disclaimers on each site before use.